Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Good? Or Bad?

Well, today was a day of mixed blessings. I bit the bullet and drove down the coast to check out another rink (traitor I am). Motivation for this was the lack of weekday classes or sessions at my regular  rink whilst the boys are in school. The one class they hold is a Star class. In other words a figure skating or dance skate class.

I went to one a few months back mistakenly believing it to be a normal session, but just for adults. How embarrassing! I had dragged two friends with me, but they quite enjoyed it. Unbenownst to me friend 1 had been attending beginner star classes on a Saturday morning with her daughter, and friend 2 was a former free-dance champion! They joined in and happily performed the fancy seal tricks dictated by the overweight, overtanned, overoiled fifty or sixty something instructor who reminded me of the oldies in Strictly Ballroom. He was not impressed when I asked if we could speed up the music with a bit of AC/DC...

After this experience, it was with trepidation I decided to trek down the mountain, over the state boundary, and give it another go at another rink.

Due to daylight saving still in place there and not here, I knew I would miss at least half of the session. But this was merely a reconnaissance, and if I managed a skate then bonus!

Walked in. Four woman skating, two of whom had prams on the rink. Instructor made five and her young son of around eleven years of age, added one more. Smaller rink than my usual, but friendly people. Was introduced as soon as I rolled on the rink. It is a combined skate/fitness class based mainly around derby training. The instructor is a woman of 46 (woohoo - someone doin' derby of me own generation!), and she filled me in on the idea of the session, and also about the team. So now I have a third team adding to my indecisiveness about who to join. And I may have only skated for an hour, but by hell I did sweat!

The good: the people, the lack of pressure, the encouragement.

The bad: the distance (an hours drive), my lack of fitness, and the condition of the floor. My wheels are disgusting and I'll have to give them a thorough clean to get the muck off.

But I enjoyed it so much I've already rung around and told friends of the session, and my intention to go every week after the holidays (they don't run them in school hols). 

Overall, a good day I would have to say!

Must add, I had forgotten how punishing it is to do fitness exercises on skates...


4 comments:

PinkPatentMaryJanes said...

Damn, you are my hero. I stand upright on skates and consider myself lucky!

Madmother said...

Ah, did I mention I just watched?

Madmother said...

The exercises, I mean, not the skating, lol.

Kakka said...

Yeah for you, the drive is a bugger, but if you can do it, I say go for it. xxx