Monday, April 12, 2010

Memoir Monday: Whipping Madmother



Ha Trav - betchya diddna know I had me lots of blogs! Now, there does not appear to be anything restricting me to entering more than one of my blogs, and so I'm running with the theory that it is allowed.



Skating formed a major part of my youth, and it probably saved me from some serious shit when my sister died. It gave me an outlet whilst also allowing me to be "the skater" instead of "the girl whose sister died". Self-centred, I know, but you usually are at fifteen. And I was desperately trying to hold what was left of my family together most days, so a few afternoons and weekends of being sk8r girl was not so much to ask for.

But enough of the poor me pity whining, time to break from the gloom with a bit of a light relief madmother wheelie tale.

The Whip:
I briefly touched on the description of the whip in this post. But now I will go into the DARK SIDE of this classic move.

If you have seen the movie Whip It you would have seen the new generation tame pussycat whip derby move. A modern day whip is merely grabbing another player by the arm to whip you forward. If you really want to know more there is a good video here.

The 1970's version was far less politically polite... two girls forward, two girls backward, fifth girl forward on the outside being "The Whip". First girl facing forward (in the centre), after speed built up, plants herself i.e. brings herself to a dead stop, result - whip is cracked and fifth girl is propelled forward at an incredible speed.
What I neglected to tell was that it was a favourite move to smash any newbies who came in with big mouths and no talent. It was no issue if you talked the talk, so long as you walked the walk too. And so many did not. No follow through  - cardinal skating sin!


And so, the Madmother sinner version of the whip was this...
Two girls forward, two girls backward, fifth girl forward on the outside being "The Victim". Madmother facing forward (in the centre), after speed is built up to a crescendo, plants herself i.e. brings herself to a dead stop, result - whip is cracked and newbie is propelled forward at an incredible speed usually planting herself halfway up the rink wall face first. And then slowly slides down to the floor.
We ceased this practise after one such victim broke their leg in three places. Ouch. Oops.


Had a few anger management issues in that grief period...



2 comments:

DB said...

You are getting me interested in the whole roller derby thing now. Do they really exist in Oz? Where can I go & see one? It sounds so COOL!

Madmother said...

Every town has one. Or nearly every town. Find a local rink and call and ask.